Introduction

Hip Replacement My new HIP: June 22nd 2009, I received a new hip. 13 years ago I was diagnosed with degernerative arthritis of my Rt hip. Back then I was sure that the hip pain I was having was due to the epidural I received during labor of my 2nd child. It really shocked me that at age 38 I had a form of arthritis. The last 3 years I had 2 procedures to help with the pain. They were steroid injections right into the hip.The first one was like a miracle. I almost felt normal, minimal pain. It lasted for about 6 months. The 2nd one had no effect. So now my only option was surgery. So at age 51 I had the surgery using the Posterior approach. As a single parent and caring for a mentally disabled 13 yr old (Samantha) I had to relay on my oldest daughter (Jessica) age 31 to care for her sister while I was in the hospital and to assist me with my recovery. Samantha and I would stay with Jessica and her family (Hubby & my 2 grandsons) for the recovery. Jessica would be the one to drive me every where. Jessica planned to have me stay with her for 3 to 4 weeks. I planned on only 1 week. The excitement of getting back to my pre-hip NO PAIN days of going out dancing, play a round of golf, go to the Zoo, or something as simple as shopping for an hour or more was overwhelming as was the fear.

Thursday, July 9

10th Day July 1st Wed


My Journal: 10:00pm: Im sure I over did it today, I am taking my last 20mg of oxy 2-diludias. Had my post-op appt. today At first I did not like him PA (Physician assistant) Seemed to want to rush me out. I had my question written down to ask. How can I reduce the swelling? what exercises can I do to help me lay on my good side? Can I put as much weight on the leg as I want? How many feet should I be walking in a day? When can I put ointment on the site? Apparently these are questions for the physical therapist cause he could not answer them very well. At first I thought thats who I would be seeing. He never looked at the site, He never asked me to show him how I did the exercises. Then He told me no more Oxy. I almost started to cry. I tried to tell him that I still experience a lot of pain and that I still needed some pain management help. In the end he did write my a scrip for 6 10mg Oxy. I guess you never see a physical therapist, I thought you would at least once a week for the first 4 weeks. In the middle of the night last night my compression sock was killing me, my foot felt like it was going to split in a million pieces. I didnt want to wake up Jessica to help get it off. I couldnt bend down to do it my self It was so tight, like part of my skin. So using my back scratcher and a pair of scissors i got it off, I just cut up a sock worth $15.00.... Gotta go,,, I gotta go #2 Yaa. Its been almost 7 days. All most forgot I got the staples out today, didnt hurt infact felt good cause like scratching it and taking care of the itch.

1 comment: